New construction in Aalsmeer
The name Aalsmeer is probably derived from Alsmar, which means ‘eel lake’. But Aelsmer, which means ‘everything else’, and everyone else that means ‘marshy land with alder’, are among the possibilities. Most Aalsmaars assume ‘eel lake’. Even today, eels are still being fished in Aalsmeer (in the Westeinderplassen) (peuren); the catch is less than a few decades ago.
In 1816 the Aalsmeer coat of arms was determined. It is the image of a (Dutch) lion with an eel in its front legs. Sometimes the spell is also used for the weapon: Retine quod habes (keep what you have). The name of the corn mill De Leeuw (1863) in Aalsmeer is probably derived from the lion in the coat of arms.
Aalsmeer is mentioned for the first time in 1133 as ‘Alsmar’. This name appears in a charter where land is donated to the abbey of Rijnsburg, a noble nunnery. In a deed by Diederik VII van Kleef  this donation was confirmed once again in 1199. The Alsmar area was then a wilderness of low alder and willow forests. In the area a lot of peat was put in, creating large lakes and ponds. Aalsmeer was at that time oriented towards Haarlem, it belonged to Kennemerland. The border with Amstelland was formed by the Legmeerdijk (now border with Amstelveen).
The residents of Aalsmeer saw the whole environment disappear by pealing, digging and dredging peat soil to extract peat. That is how the Oosteinderpoel, Schinkelpoel, Stommeer, Hornmeer, Legmeer and the Westeinderplassen arose. The Haarlemmermeer was also getting bigger as a result of peating.
Little farmland remained, so that many inhabitants in the 15th century switched to fishing. The scarce soil was cultivated more and more intensively, especially for tree cultivation. The horticulturists could also make a good living by cutting trees and bushes on the outside of rich merchants. This time was also the beginning of strawberry cultivation.
The lack of ground caused by peatting was counteracted by pumping the peat ponds dry. This started in the 17th century. First the Stommeer was made dry (1650) and then the Horn Lake (1674). Street names still remind these lakes today; This is how Aalsmeer knows the Stommeerweg and Stommeerkade. The Hornmeer is a neighborhood in Aalsmeer.
Two of the windmills with which the lakes were drained are still in existence. These are the Stommeermolen (1742) and De Zwarte Ruiter (1778) at the Schinkelpolder.
From fish to strawberry
In 1852 the Haarlemmermeer adjacent to Aalsmeer was drained. Then followed the reclamations of the Schinkelpoel, the Oosteinderpoel and the Legmeer. The fishery became less (only possible on the Westeinder) and the dying stopped, the inhabitants grew more trees, plants and fruit. Between 1850 and 1885 strawberry cultivation experienced its peak. The strawberry became the symbol for the flag of Aalsmeer: red, green, black (fruit, leaves, earth). Aalsmeer also has a ‘Aardbeienbrug’, which can be found on the Uiterweg.
Origin of the flower auction
The growers sold the strawberries to middlemen, who sailed to Amsterdam with a strawberry ship to market the goods. During this time, the auction industry in the Netherlands arose, with Aalsmeer going to play a major role. Floriculture began around 1880 with the cultivation of roses (then already in greenhouses). The peat soil turned out to be very good for flower cultivation. The flowers were first brought to the market in the city by barges, but the trade was soon moved to Aalsmeer. The auctions started in the café Welkom and café de Drie Kolommen, in the center of the village. In 1912 two real auctions were founded: the Central Aalsmeer Auction at the Van Cleeffkade in the center and Bloemenlust at the Oosteinderweg in Aalsmeer-Oost. In 1968 both auctions merged; the new combination was called Verenigde Bloemenveilingen Aalsmeer (VBA). In 1972 a new building was involved in the Legmeerdijk in Aalsmeer-Zuid.
From the new auction it was only a short drive to the airport. The new Schiphol was in fact put into use. This gave the Dutch growers direct access to the American and Japanese markets. In 1999 the auction was expanded. With a floor area of 999,000 m², the auction building is the largest trading building in the world, according to the Guinness Book of Records. The auction can be visited by the public from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.
In 2008 the VBA merged with FloraHolland. The combination continues under the name FloraHolland, with the tulip logo of the VBA.
The latest news from New construction in Aalsmeer
The Doors: living and working on the water, in an industrial atmosphere in Amsterdam Noord. Sales will start soonJune 15th 2019Living and working on the water. It's possible in a new-build project... Read more »
De Admiraal: new building with apartments on Oostenburg Island in Amsterdam. Saturday, June 22: start of saleJune 15th 2019Er is iets misgegaan bij het vertalen.
Woningaanbod in New construction in Aalsmeer
|Percentage mannen||49 %|
|Percentage vrouwen||51 %|
|Bevolkingsdichtheid inwoners per km²||1.669|
|Personen tot 15 jaar||15,4 %|
|Personen 15 tot 25 jaar||10,5 %|
|Personen 25 tot 45 jaar||21,6 %|
|Personen 45 tot 65 jaar||27,0 %|
|Personen 65 jaar en ouder||25,5%|
|Huishoudens zonder kinderen||32,5 %|
|Huishoudens met kinderen||33,7 %|